Using details from the text, explain your answers in complete sentences.
1.. Why does Dickens spend so much time telling us about Marley being dead?
2. Explain why Scrooge is compared to an oyster.
3. Why did Scrooge’s nephew ask him “What right have you to be dismal?”
4. What did the men who visited Scrooge at his office want from Scrooge? What did Scrooge say to them?
5. List some questions about things that confuse you or that you wonder about.
6. Describe where Scrooge lives.
7. What did Scrooge see when he got home that was foreshadowing the arrival of Marley’s ghost?
8. Why was the chain wound around Marley’s ghost made of cash boxes, keys, ledgers, and deeds?
9. How does Scrooge explain being able to see Marley’s ghost? page 18
10. What does Marley mean that “Mankind was my business.” page 21
11. Why is Marley visiting Scrooge?
12. Before reading Stave 2, describe what you think the Ghost of Christmas Past will look like. (be very specific)
13. How is the Ghost of Christmas Past described in the book?
14. How is the book’s description of the ghost different from your description?
15. What was your reaction to the difference?
16. Copy down a quote from a character and tell why you think it is meaningful.
17. Describe what happened in the section we read today.
18. Use details from the text to describe Scrooge’s reaction to what he heard and saw.
19.The Ghost of Christmas Past showed Scrooge only people that he knew. Why did the Ghost of Christmas Present show Scrooge all those people who he did not know?
STAVE 4 and STAVE 5
20. Why does it take Scrooge so long to figure out who has died and how does he finally figure it out?
21. What did Scrooge tell the Spirit he would do?
22. Describe how Scrooge behaved when he woke up.
23. Describe how other people reacted toward Scrooge.